You will be part of the collective of highly-skilled interdisciplinary researchers associated with REPHRAIN, initially from the five lead institutions, but growing further over the lifetime of the Centre as more projects and researcher/practitioners-in-residence start.
The Centre’s researchers will jointly contribute to the REPHRAIN Map that will systematically track the global challenges of preventing and/or reducing online harms for individuals and identify the gaps in our knowledge in this arena, and to the REPHRAIN Toolbox to provide real, actionable, resources for researchers, practitioners and citizens globally. Staff associated with REPHRAIN will take part in all Centre-wide activities including project specific meetings, quarterly All-Hands meetings, masterclasses, Knowledge Exchange events and REPHRAIN showcases.
Research Associate: Usable Security and Privacy
(Open-ended, full time)
REPHRAIN has a vacancy for a (Senior) Research Associate who will work to support the delivery of the Design and Engagement strand which explores participatory and co-design process with usability by citizens at the core.
The post holder will:
- Utilise creative and design-led approaches to co-design with users and other stakeholders, approaches/tools to make sense of complex data ecosystems and have agency over their online interactions.
- Play a key role in the Centre’s activities, contributing to the development of the REPHRAIN Map of privacy, harm and adversarial influence.
- Undertake iterative interaction with stakeholders and synthesising and disseminating outputs/insights from projects over the lifetime of the Centre, thus populating the REPHRAIN Toolbox.
We’re looking for candidates with the following:
- You have knowledge and expertise in usable security & privacy. Alternatively, a strong background in HCI with a demonstrable interest (e.g., through evidenced work) in protecting citizens from online harms.
- You can demonstrate knowledge and expertise in participatory design or other co-design methodologies involving diverse stakeholders.
- You have knowledge and expertise in designing and executing studies with human participants.
- You possess strong data analysis and methodological skills.
- You are experienced in working in multi-disciplinary research projects.
- You have knowledge and experience of ethics processes related to research.
- Publication record appropriate to stage of career including research publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
- You can demonstrate a track record of developing at least one medium size project (for example, degree dissertation or equivalent) with excellent results.
Full details, including how to apply, can be found here.
Closing date: 25 June 2023